I've been musing on creativity and productivity recently, directly influenced by my rediscovering of both.

Winter quarter in school was very difficult for me. I overwhelmed myself in a subject I didn't feel passion for and subsequently was incredibly stressed by my inability to do my work and by constantly forcing myself to 'love' it. It did not end well.

Spring break was perfect for me in terms of a readjustment, and I left for my spring quarter armed with the promise to myself that I would not overload myself with classes. In fact, I would underload. In a surprise to no one, I performed amazingly well in all of my classes.

Traditionally, when I go on vacation abroad. my creativity in writing peaks. I become eager to write---letters to my friends, fiction that has little to do with my surroundings. It can be laughable sometimes, because I'm torn between the desire to sightsee or to park myself in a cafe and write. It's not just my drive to write that returns, but also my desire to read. I can conquer much more difficult material.

The conclusion is also entirely unsurprising. When we relax, we do better. It's not just relaxing though---it's the lack of diversion. Organic stimuli from environment such as nature or architecture, chosen by me, has a greater capacity to inspire me than course materials. When I get to choose whether or not I want to be 'diverted' at the moment, I have long periods of chosen blankness as well, where I can let my brain ferment. It's different from turning on the tv and vegging out, because our brains might be essentially disengaged from work or play or stress, but we are still somewhat actively paying attention to another external stimuli. This does not let the mind wander. And when my mind wanders, I tend to have brighter period of productivity to complement it, because I can patiently wait for an idea to present itself, rather than scouring what might be an empty cavern.

I'm not sure how the mind really works as far as presenting ideas or solutions goes (something I'd love to learn). But it's well-known we get our best thoughts when we are in the shower, or trying to fall asleep. I'd say it is because we do not have to pay attention to something right then and there, and so our brains take a walk. We explore, possibly subconsciously, things we may have experienced earlier that day, until a relevant solution or observation drifts to the forefront.

And then, of course, we have to get out of bed to write it down immediately. Like this blog post.