I've now visited two markets in Lyon: a typical marché which is a farmer's market type-deal and a Carrefour. Carrefour is technically a Walmart, but it's a French Walmart which means it is clean and fancy and really fancy did I mention that? I don't feel lower class for being inside it. It's inside a really lovely mall (I can't believe I'm calling a mall 'lovely'). The top floor of Carrefour is all food items and the best bit: they have THREE AISLES OF CHEESE. It was awesome. I almost bought rose-apple juice because what the hell, I'm in France and there is no rose-apple juice in the US. But, you know, money. Instead I spent my money on red currants and chips and Starbucks shots. Useful shit. Oddly, I have little to say on the matter of the marché; it's quite similar to the farmer's markets in Saratoga!

Speaking of useful, in the UC student office in the university there is a pile of stuff that other students have left behind. Four of the girls in my class and I went 'shopping'. One girl came away with an entire backpack full of stuff; I nicked a pair of horrible bright pink flats for dance, a straightener, and a Zara shirt. Someone left a crap ton of Zara things. WHY would you do that? I understand leaving shoes, but Zara? Come on.

Lyon is lovely, I'm sure, but I've visited the same three places in the past five days and it makes me more bored than I should be. University, Bellecour (the downtown district), and my house. So I've resolved to see more of Lyon--for example, there's a church on the top of the hill that I haven't visited yet, and I haven't been to ONE museum. Scandalous. I did wander a little around Vieux Lyon (the old part) which was Paris-like. But I need to try more to be proactive and do my research. My parents dragged me around Europe by the ear into churches and museums and anything remotely historic and educational. I'm in the oldest city in France. There's got to be something to look at, right?

Let's not speak about the university itself; it's four hours every day without break of French at the speed of snails. We're not even taking classes through the university which is quite disappointing. This could prove to be a problem; when I tried to get access to the library, I was not allowed to use the computers since I'm not 'technically' a student. I'm a little worried.

On the other hand, I ate calamari on Sunday evening and LIKED it. It was bomb. I'm currently drinking a glass of French wine; life could be a lot worse.